"The Elm Bark" was the first Elmhurst College student newspaper, begun in September, 1920. For an undetermined period of time, the newspaper was published by the Young Men's Christian Association of Elmhurst.
The Elm Bark became the Elmhurst College Newpaper [sic] in 1973. The name was again changed to The Elmhurst College Leader in 1979, which was shortened to The Leader beginning in 1992.
Several sporadic, related publications are included in the collection. "Bomb Shell", published concurrently with the "Elm Bark," was issued only in 1939 and contained humor columns. Other titles include The Pirateer, The Sokoleer, and the Dunketeer.
The collections are arranged in chronological order. An additional copy of many issues has been bound and is located on Shelf 25A.